Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Good nutritional value by eating from restaurants?

I'm out of town about 50% of the time for work and eat lunch and dinner at restaurants during the week. How can I make healthy choices without any nutritional information on the menus? I've been replacing beef with salmon and trying to limit portions, but most restaurants focus on making good meals without any regard to calories, fat content, etc. Plus, I don't even know if the caesar salad dressing is reasonable or full of fat. I travel with a team and don't really have the option of eating 5 meals per day or going to Subway every day. I'm 26 years old and exercise regularly, should I order everything low-fat or light, or are there some better foods to order that I am not aware of.
Answer:
Ooh...this is a tough one. Something I struggle with myself! There's a great website out there called www.dietfacts.com. They have many nutritional facts for most chain restaraunts and fast food joints across the US. Here's what I've found...Even if you think you're eating healthy by getting a salad or whatever, you're not. Most things are twice as bad for you as you would think. In example, the grilled chicken caesar salad at Chili's is over 70g of fat and 1,000 calories. Ask about fat free dressing. If there's cheese in anything and you can live without it, ask to have it taken off. You're probably taking the right track on ordering everything light. Even doing so, you can't avoid the way they cook things. Different cooking oils have different nutrional values. But the website I mentioned above has great information on restaraunts. I recommed you check it out and familiarize yourself with the things you eat now, and get a feel for the nutritional value, therefore educating yourself on healthier meal choices. And, unless you're getting a dry sandwich with no condiments at Subway, their sandwiches can also have around 20g of fat on average as well.
thedailyplate.com
it has alot of restaurant calories listed
Even when going to your typical McDonald's you have the choice of eating rather healthy. Grilled chicken salads, etc. Your salmon idea is a good choice, but make sure it is not dripping in a butter or cheese sauce.Dressings for salads sometimes are full of fat. Most places offer a reduced calorie french or an italian made with low fat oils.Stay away from the complex carbs and starches...pasta, breads, etc. If they have a lean steak of beef it isn't too bad. You need the protien for your body can use nutrients for muscle growth rather than fat storage.I hope this and other answers help you out. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment