Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Help with strength workout!!!?

I have been working out for about 6 months really trying to gain muscle strength and endurance. I'm a 27 year old female. I can't get past 5 curls with the 50 lbs bicep barbel. when I started I could do 20 push up, now I can't get past 30. I need to be able to do pull ups and still can't even do one. I have no definition in my arms like I had hoped. Is this what they call a plateau? What can I do to boost my strength up? Am I missing a critical part of this?
Answer:
Add more protein to your diet, particularly whey isolate and be sure to have a post workout protein drink (within 45 minutes of completing your workout) as this is the most critical period for recovery and growth. Without knowing your diet or exercise routine it is very hard to give you an accurate answer, but keep in mind that your body grows as a whole so you need to be exercising all the muscles in your body and it is preferrable to use compound exercises (involves the movement of two or more joints as opposed to isolation exercises, like curls). Compounds build mass, isolation exercises carve in the details.
50 pounds is alot try with lighter weights and build up to 50 alot of ppl cant curl 50 5 times i dont think i can
are you mixing up the resistance training you are doing on the muscles? try pressing the bar or dumb bells for different results. Have you been working out your lats? most women can't lift their own weight doing a pull up anyway. What about assisted chin ups? also, you can try doing 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps at the max you can lift in order to tear the muscle so you get new growth and bigger muscle.
Look to your diet. Sounds like you are missing protein. Your body needs protein to rebuild the muscle you are tearing when you work out that hard. Your local gym should be able to recommend a dietitian who help you work out exactly what you need..
YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY...LISTEN UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment